≡ Menu

On Greetings

giving good greetings 3

A friend and I were talking over the weekend about how important greetings are. Every day when I was younger, I would hop off the school bus to see my mom waving giddily at my arrival. And although I still call my dad nearly every day with nothing particularly newsworthy to say, he always greets me with a warm “Hi honey!” as if he was just hoping I’d call. I even used to have a doorman who, every morning when I would walk into the building, would exclaim, “Good morning, beauty!” or “Well hello, sunshine!” as if it had been months since seeing one another, instead of hours.

Most of us can probably picture the alternative — the husband who barely lifts his head when his wife walks in the door, the parent so attached to her iPad that she forgets to look up when her child enters the room. You can physically feel the difference, can’t you? Even though it’s such a little thing, it’s the difference between a relationship that makes one feel valued, treasured, heard, and seen — and a relationship where one feels dull, bothersome, and ignored. I kinda think of it like the puppy effect — how awesome is it to have a puppy to come home to when they rejoice with tails wagging, legs prancing, fur flying every time you walk in the door? It becomes a joy to come home.

How about you — do your eyes light up when you see loved ones? Or theirs when they see you? Since our conversation, I have been trying to make an extra concerted effort to enter every interaction with an even heartier hug, twinkling eyes, or bright voice. You can much more than see the difference it makes — you can feel it.

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

– Maya Angelou

P.S. Related: How to ask the right questions and the power of kindness.

P.S.S. More pup window pics, because I could. not. help. myself. #blogresearch

on greetings

{Top photo via Romina Comaschi; bottom via One Fine Day}

{ 10 comments… add one }

• Ashley L. September 23, 2014, 7:45 am

Beautiful post! Have a good day xo

• Jessica September 23, 2014, 6:44 pm

Thank you, you too love!

• Gina September 23, 2014, 8:50 am

Goose gives the best greetings of them all.

• Jessica September 23, 2014, 6:43 pm

She does <3

• Vickie September 23, 2014, 9:44 am

This is so true! We should also greet people we don’t know. I said ‘Good Morning. How are you today?’ to a cashier and she looked at me as if she
    had never heard those words before. She then gave me a smile and said, “I’m good. Thanks for asking!” Even giving a smile to someone can make their day!
    I love your posts. You have such a positive outlook and your blog is wonderful!

• Jessica September 23, 2014, 6:46 pm

That’s such a great point Vickie! Not only greeting our loved ones this way, but everyone, including those who we may not even realize need it. Hope your week is off to a great start!

• Nathan Donohue September 26, 2014, 10:17 am

Great post Jess! Megan always does a great job of this, makes me smile. :)

• Jessica September 26, 2014, 10:34 am

She does! You both do! I love how you guys always greet with big hugs. Can’t wait to see you two again soon :)

• Michelle McLean September 27, 2014, 4:47 pm

JESS!!! I loved this :) I always remember and love it when someone is excited to see me. I also love when they take the time to say good-bye not just by walking me to the door, but by stepping outside a bit with one last hug or thank you. My mama to this day stands outside waving good-bye until I am actully gone and cant see her. She waves like crazy until I pull away in my car and turn the corner :)

• Jessica September 30, 2014, 7:54 am

Aw, that’s such a great point! Goodbyes are just as important as hellos. And love the visual about your momma — I can totally picture her doing that. :) Love you Michelle!